Field Hockey

Syracuse drops 1 spot to No. 13 in latest NFHCA Poll

Aidan Groeling | Staff Photographer

Despite a 2-0 win over Princeton last week, Syracuse fell to its lowest ranking this season.

Syracuse (9-3, 1-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) fell to No. 13 in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association Poll Tuesday — its lowest ranking of the season. The Orange began the season ranked No. 8 in the Preseason poll.

On Sunday, the Orange defeated Princeton 2-0 in their lone game of the week, outshooting the Tigers 12-2. Eefke van den Nieuwenhof and Willemijn Boogert each scored in the win.

After dropping one spot, SU is now the sixth-highest ranked program in the ACC, behind No. 2 Duke, No. 3 North Carolina, No. 5 Louisville, No. 8 Virginia and No. 12 Boston College. 

This Friday, the Orange have another top 10 matchup with the Tar Heels, their fourth conference opponent this season. UNC dropped from No. 1 to No. 3 after losing 2-1 to then-No. 10 Liberty in double-overtime on Sunday. In 2023, North Carolina (9-2, 3-0 ACC) has defeated Louisville, Wake Forest and Boston College to remain undefeated in ACC play.

In addition to hosting North Carolina on Friday, Syracuse will travel to No. 18 Cornell on Sunday.