Beat writers predict Syracuse to edge Central Michigan

Courtesy of CMU Athletics

CMU quarterback Shane Morris, the transfer from Michigan, is 12th in the country with 693 passing yards, guiding the Chips to a 2-0 start.

On Saturday at 3:30 p.m. Syracuse and Central Michigan will kick off at the Carrier Dome for SU’s final nonconference home game this season. The Orange (1-1) lost to Middle Tennessee State last week while Central Michigan beat Kansas. The last time SU and CMU matched up, 2015, the Orange won, 30-27, in overtime.

Our beat writers predict Saturday’s matchup, which will air on ACC Network Extra.

Joe Bloss (1-1)
Do or die
Syracuse 30, Central Michigan 24

Steve Ishmael has 26 receptions and Central Michigan has eight interceptions. Neither team will run the ball well because neither can, so whichever passing attack outdoes the other will win. The edge goes to Eric Dungey and Syracuse because the Chippewas are missing some top targets. If I’m wrong, SU’s season is a lost cause halfway through September. Can’t wait for LSU!

Sam Fortier (1-1)
Cash in Chips
Syracuse 27, Central Michigan 26

We still have no idea what Syracuse is. We saw the Orange TKO a tomato can FCS team and then lose to its revenge-bent spurned ex-boss. Neither are fair barometers. Central Michigan, which won at Kansas last week, will be. The Chippewas finally give Syracuse a fair, Division-I test. The Orange will be who they’ve always been and charismatic Eric Dungey will overcome a struggling running game to keep SU’s offense just ahead of its defense to ensure the win. Then we’ll at least know we’re good for last season’s re-up.

Matthew Gutierrez (1-1)
Win while you can
Syracuse 28, Central Michigan 20

It won’t be pretty in front of another lackluster crowd, but Syracuse picks up its second win of the year Saturday against a banged-up Central Michigan team. The Chippewas will be without wide receivers Corey Willis and Brandon Childress, who combined for 225 yards and two touchdowns over the first two games. With them out, Shane Morris, who is 12th in the country with 693 passing, doesn’t have the targets he needs and SU’s defense gets a break to hold CMU.

Tomer Langer (1-1)
Loud and clear
Syracuse 38, Central Michigan 24

Syracuse lost its last four games of the season last year, but was without Eric Dungey playing quarterback. The last time SU lost before thought was Wake Forest, a game many considered winnable. The week after, the Orange had its best win of the season against Virginia Tech. SU lost a disappointing game against Middle Tennesssee State last week and head coach Dino Babers made it clear that he had the attention of his team during film study after. I believe him, and expect the Orange to pull away with a win.